Setting up a Single Node Openstack Environment

Here we are going to deploy openstack on a single node, i.e all openstack components Nova, Glance, Keystone, Quantum and Horizon will be running in the same box. Nova-compute is also running on the same machine which will provision virtual machines on the KVM.

Requirements:

Ubuntu 12.04 running on Oracle VirtualBox with two NIC ‘s.

• Setup a ubuntu virtual machine in virtualBox.
  • Add a second NIC to the VM.
    • Power Off the Virtual Machine
    • Right Click on the VM and select settings
    • In the Network Section select Adapter 2 tab
    • Select “Attached to:” to internal

1.1

• Power On the VM
  • When the VM boots up configure to network for second NIC
  • Edit /etc/network/interfaces to something like

• Restart Network service

service networking restart

• You can verify your network setting using “ ifconfig ”

ifconfig

Deploying Openstack

• Change the user to root.

sudo -i

• If your network is behind proxy then please export proxy variables.

export http_proxy=<proxy-server>
export https_proxy=<proxy-server>
export no_proxy=”localhost,127.0.0.1″

•  Install git on the machine

apt-get update -y

apt-get install git -y

• Clone the CloudGear git to install Openstack

git clone https://github.com/ilearnstack/cloudgear.git

• Execute the script to set up openstack

cd cloudgear/
python cloudgear.py

• Open Openstack Dashboard in browser from URL  http://<controller-ip>/horizon
  • Login with credentials  admin/secret

horizon_1

• Add a image into Glance

Download image from the given link :http://download.cirros-cloud.net/0.3.1/cirros-0.3.1-x86_64-disk.img

horizon_2

horizon_3 horizon_4

• Create Network for Virtual Machines.

horizon_5 horizon_6 horizon_7

• Create subnet for the network created above.

horizon_8

• Launch a instance from the Project Tab , Instances page.

horizon_9 horizon_10

horizon_21

• Once VM is successfully spawned it will show as ACTIVE in Instances page.

horizon_22 horizon_23

• Select Console tab to view VM console.

horizon_34

About these ads

61 Responses to Setting up a Single Node Openstack Environment

1. AD says:

Can you please explain what the cloudgear program does.. I think it is bad practise to ask people who want to learn stuff to “just download this file and run it”..
    * it does not help the learning process
    * it is INSECURE to run any program from unknown/untrusted source

2. An amazing way to setup openstack-grizzly in a dev-box. Just in case if the script fails while installing libvirt kvm due to name resolution, add the following in /etc/hosts file:

91.189.91.15 us.archive.ubuntu.com
    91.189.88.33 ubuntu-cloud.archive.canonical.com
    91.189.91.13 security.ubuntu.com

Provided that the IP doesn’t change for the above ppa repositories.

3. kabi says:

can u please explain how to launch the instance after completing this. Actually i have been able to log in dashboard but i cant create the instance. i am using Essex on Ubuntu server.

4. kabi says:

Thank you for adding more snapshots. In my dashboard there is no network tab under the admin tab. Is this because of that I am not been able to launch instance? and when I launch from my image it shows like this Status:Error, Task:Networking,Power State: No State.

5. Romil Gupta says:

Hi Kabi , For launching an instance you have to go to the Project tab and for adding a network to the project you have to go to the Admin tab .

6. Bala says:

Hi sir, Could u please explain what does the following line explains..
    export http_proxy=
    export https_proxy=
    export no_proxy=”localhost,127.0.0.1″

• Ishant says:

These are only required if your proxy server does not redirect to your machine.In this case request would never come to the api server and hence request will time out.This is a rare case scenario because generally proxy server will redirect the request to the designated machine.

7. joe says:

Hi Ishant, how do you lanuch the swift and cinder with this installation?

8. Chris says:

Cannot create a projects. Getting the message: Error: An error occured. Please try again.

Please advise.

• Ishant says:

You need to create a Member role which is required by default for horizon.

keystone role-create –name=Member

keystone tenant-list #select the tenant id
      keystone user-list #select the user id

keystone user-role-add –user_id –tenant_id –role_id

sign Out of horizon and Sign In again.The error should be resolved.

9. engineer101 says:

Hi, I would like to if this could be done with a physical box.
    I would like to set up openstack single-node on a real server, but found only overwhelmingly complex guides.
    What changes should be made to this setup? How should I go about creating the second adatper?

• Ishant says:

Yes the same can be done on a physical machine,You just have to add a second network to you physical machine for the data network(through which VM data traffic will go though).You need to just set the correct interface mapping in OVS agent conf (physical_interface_mappings = physnet1:eth1 )

10. vinayus says:

I found your tutorial very interesting. I have to set-up a multinode environment. In single-node environment all services are running without any problem however i have a small problem, when creating the ubuntu instance it gives “http://169.254.169.254/instance-id” not found error. please help. Looking forward to your reply.

11. vinayus says:

12. Mahalakshmi Ramanathan says:

i’ve followed the steps given above and now i have a doubt which release of openstack has been installed in my system if i follow the steps given by you

• Rahul K Upadhyaya says:

Hi Mahalakshmi… This script does the installation of Grizzly release of Openstack. Grizzly is the current release of Openstack.

• Mahalakshmi Ramanathan says:

can u please help us with how to create instances and also how to setup in multi node environment

13. Mahalakshmi Ramanathan says:

14. Mahalakshmi Ramanathan says:

can we follow the same steps given by tutorials for installed swift and other components which has used devstack after installing dashboard using the above method

• Rahul K Upadhyaya says:

This script would install quantum,glance,nova for you… Swift shall not get installed using this… I shall shortly update that too at this blog. The current script does installation of mentioned components and you are good to create VMs… for testing… do not expect performance on the VMs over VMs… This is just for trial if you are running it over virtual box.

• Mahalakshmi Ramanathan says:

Are the above steps given for setting up a private cloud or public cloud?

• Rahul K Upadhyaya says:

Hi Mahalakshmi… these steps can steps can help you get a public/private cloud depending on where and how you are installing it. The primary objective of cloud-gear is not to set up a full-functionality public/private cloud. Rather, our intention is to get you and others a feel of how vanilla openstack installation looks like.

15. V.Harini says:

I too have the same doubt “Are the above steps given for setting up a private cloud or public cloud?”

16. Geetha says:

how to set-up cloud in multi-node openstack environment.

17. geetha says:

can you please help me to setup cloud in multi-node environment?

18. Gourav Sharma says:

I am getting error while cloning cloudgear

Error: the requested URL returned error :403 while accessing https://github.com/ilearnstack/cloudgear/info/refs

19. Pranab Kumar says:

Finally I am able to login through my dashboard……bt I dont knw what to do next ????

20. Gourav Sharma says:

Hi rahul i want to setting up openstack enviornment on multiple nodes i have a machine with 2NIC and other having single NIC ,but i m not getting the concept of IP for eth0 and eth1 and how to setup all things , help me

• Romil Gupta says:

Hi,
      For multinode setup I would suggest you to make Single Nic machine as Openstack Controller and the machine with 2NIC as ComputeNode. The eth0 would be used for Mgmt network & eth1 would be bridged, and your instance used this interface as a VNIC.

21. Ernest says:

I was able to setup a single node openstack following your guide. Great work!
    Do you have a process for setting up multi-node openstack?

• Rahul K Upadhyaya says:

Hey Earnest, Good to hear you could set up the single node setup using this guide and were benifitted. There are plans for multi-node, but as of now, work isnt in progress, may be sometime soon :)

22. Hi, is there a way to install Swift with this?

23. Pavel Pulec says:

To install git use: apt-get install git-core

24. srajgowda says:

cloudgear.py fails at quantum install_configure
    doesn’t create quantum.conf and quantum-server files
    Please let me know do I am missing something…

25. Romil Gupta says:

Hi did you change anything in cloudgear.py before installing ?
    Can you please post the error message ?

26. cgipson says:

I had the same error as srajgowda. I did not change anything in cloudgear.py. Any suggestions or fixes?

27. Hi.

I’m getting following error while installing the OpenStack demo.

Reading package lists…
    Building dependency tree…
    Reading state information…
    quantum-dhcp-agent is already the newest version.
    quantum-plugin-linuxbridge is already the newest version.
    quantum-plugin-linuxbridge-agent is already the newest version.
    quantum-server is already the newest version.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 25 not upgraded.
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File “cloudgear.py”, line 409, in
    install_and_configure_quantum()
    File “cloudgear.py”, line 361, in install_and_configure_quantum
    add_to_conf(quantum_conf, “DEFAULT”, “core_plugin”, “quantum.plugins.linuxbr
    idge.lb_quantum_plugin.LinuxBridgePluginV2″)
    File “cloudgear.py”, line 44, in add_to_conf
    config.readfp(open(conf_file))
    IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘/etc/quantum/quantum.conf’

How to solve the following issue

28. Maniram says:

This is like a kids play. Thanks a to you guys. I owe you a coffee :)

29. senthil says:

I have tried deploying openstack in Single node. I have done till the steps you have discussed for opening the dashboard. Could you please tell what is the controller ip address in the dashboard? I am not the page you have given in snapshot? Please help

30. Aravind says:

Hello, I am trying to setup Openstack using RHEL 6.4 and was successful with single node. Now am trying to add quantum plugin and running into issues. These are some Error messages I see from dashboard. Any help to figure out the problem is appreciated.
    1. Unable to retrieve quota information
    2. Network list cannot be retrieved
    and more. I would like to know if you are comfortable with RH before I add more messages here. thanks,

31. Pingback: OpenStack developer: Beginner’s guide (Part 1) | Coffee Breaks

32. vilas424 says:

ERROR: unable to locate floating ip in dashboard please help me

33. Great script guys. It went almost flawlessly … Well, almost. because I had an issue with Mysql permissions. So I had to do the “–skip-grant-tables” thing and then onwards everything was a breeze.

So, I went ahead and forked the script and made the following changes :
    – Added a main() function
    – Added a command line parser with geopt and then added “-m ” and “-i ” since my interfaces were not eth0 and eth1, but rather eth2 and eth3

Feel free to check out my changes at :

Let me know if you guys are accepting upstream patches since I intend to do more changes like add support for neutron, etc.

34. Ashok Kumar says:

When i run the python script file i get an access denied message on mysql. Can you help me

35. ashokjune17 says:

Iam trying to follow your guide but i got struck because when i execute the python script i get an access denied error message on mysql. Can u guys help me.

36. Carmelo says:

Hi there,
    thanks for the post, really helped me a lot!!

I have followed your steps, and I have now a VM running the whole openstack. I can create VMs (cirros for now), and I can vnc to them. However, I can ping and ssh from cirros VMs to the openstack box, but not the other way around. Both have nics attached on the same private network. I can see that the cirros VM doesn’t have sshd, but I would expect at least to be seen (pingable) from the openstack VM. Any idea?

Thanks